Washington, DC Office
Emily McKinney is an associate at R&C whose practice focuses on representing purchasers, sellers, and lenders in a wide variety of commercial and residential real estate transactions including multifamily properties, retail space, and health care facilities. Emily’s practice also includes comprehensive investor representation including structuring property ownership, ensuring compliance with securities regulations, and writing private placement memoranda. Emily’s document drafting experience includes a wide variety of real estate finance instruments including loan documents, purchase agreements, and construction contracts.
Selected Recent Transactions
- Represented borrower in refinancing 163-unit residential community through Freddie Mac mortgage pool and supplied requisite amendments to company documents and resolutions. Mortgage loan was funded through sale of Freddie Mac mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented seller in negotiating asset purchase agreement for assisted living facility and personal property with seller payoff of outstanding Fannie Mae loan at closing. Prepared lease and operations transfer agreements and requisite company resolutions and disclosures.
- Represented buyer in acquisition of undeveloped property upon which to develop assisted living facility. Assisted with negotiation and purchase of easements from surrounding property owners and obtaining dedication of property interests to local government. Created special purpose entities to own property and business operations and wrote accompanying operating agreements to keep control of property with a minority interest holder. Issued securities for special purpose entities and all necessary investor memoranda and documents required by state of Ohio securities regulations.
- Represented borrower in securing Fannie Mae multifamily loan to refinance 152-unit residential community and supplied requisite disclosures and company documents. Prepared memoranda to investors to explain critical and unfavorable terms in loan agreement.
- Represented borrower in refinancing assisted living facility with FHA healthcare mortgage insurance, using the FHA LEAN accelerated processing program. Mortgage loan was funded through the sale of Ginnie Mae mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented seller in negotiation of asset purchase agreement for assisted living facility and personal property with seller assuming FHA healthcare mortgage insured loan. Prepared lease and operations transfer agreements.
Major Prior Working Experience
- Reese, Pyle, Drake, & Meyer PLL, Associate– represented commercial real estate and assisted living facility developers in acquiring, refinancing, and selling properties
- Smith, Roles, & Skavdahl, LPA, Law Clerk-drafted numerous complaints, pleadings, and briefs, including dispositive motions Researched legal issues and advised on strongest legal arguments
Awards, Community, and Professional Activities
- Member, Ohio Bar Association
- Legal Panelist, White House Conference on Aging Regional Summit, May 2015
- Featured Legal Speaker, Newark (OH) Area Financial Planning Quarterly Group Luncheon
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D.
- Editor, Ohio State Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society
The Ohio State University B.A in English cum laude
- Ohio Bar
- DC Bar