Gwendolyn M. Allen
Columbia, MD Office
Gwendolyn M. Allen practices in the area of commercial real estate. Gwen advises clients in a variety of commercial real estate transactions. Her most extensive experience is in representing landlords and tenants in commercial leases. Gwen also works with the FHA- team to represent lenders in the financing of multifamily and healthcare projects. Since 2012, Gwen has maintained an active role as an appointed member of the Maryland State Bar Association Real Property Section Council. She edits Ground Rules, the Real Property Section’s blog that features news and events relating to the practice of real property law in Maryland
Selected Recent Transactions
- Represented lenders refinancing mortgaged debt for various multifamily and nursing home projects in Connecticut, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, and Texas using FHA-insured financing in the 223(f) and 223(a)(7) programs. Many of these refinancings included establishing priority over various sources of public and private financing.
- Represented clients leasing office space, as tenants, in Arizona, California, Nevada, and Virginia.
- Represented a landlord leasing restaurant/retail space in Virginia.
- Advised on Maryland law impacts on lease to create an incubator for technology companies.
- Participated in the representation of the General Services Administration, as part of a team of attorneys, in its leasing of The Old Post Office in Washington, DC to the Trump Organization to convert into a luxury hotel.
Major Prior Working Experience
- Prior to working at Reno & Cavanaugh, Gwen was an associate at Bregman, Berbert, Schwartz & Gilday, LLC where she worked primarily in real estate and business transactions, with a strong focus on commercial leasing. In addition, Gwen represented a public housing authority in civil litigation in matters arising in its capacity as landlord and in its administration of the Housing Choice Voucher program.
- During law school, Gwen worked with the in-house legal team at the Cordish Company on leasing, corporate, and employment matters.
- Prior to and during law school, Gwen also worked for Baltimore, Maryland and Wilmington, Delaware-based nonprofit organizations organizing neighbors, stakeholders, and research around transit-centered community development and urban greening projects.
Awards, Community and Professional Activities
- University of Maryland School of Law Community Scholar Award 2008
- American Planning Association, Planning and Law Division Fellow 2006
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Section Council of the Maryland State Bar Association
- Editor of the Maryland State Bar Association’s Real Property Section Council’s blog, Ground Rules
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Urban Land Institute
- Graduate Research Assistantship
University of Maryland School of Law, J.D. cum laude
Saint Louis University, Masters in Urban Planning
University of Kansas, B.A. in Architectural Studies, with Distinction
- Maryland Bar
- District of Columbia Bar