Washington, DC Office
Sarah Molseed specializes in working with owners, developers and housing authorities on complex real estate development transactions as well as operational issues involving HUD. Sarah also assists housing authorities - many who have little or no experience with public housing redevelopment – to undertake self-development roles in repositioning their portfolios.
Selected Recent Transactions
- Closed more than 20 transactions on behalf of housing authorities creating more than 1000 units of affordable housing in the state of Ohio utilizing a broad array of financing sources including mixed finance, RAD, project based vouchers, FHA financing, HOPE VI funds, low income housing tax credit, HOME funds, State of Ohio HDAP and R-TCAP funds, tax exempt bonds, public housing fund loans and conventional financing.
- Closed the first mixed-finance transaction in Hawaii, involving the substantial rehabilitation of over 500 units and utilizing $135 million in financing from the proceeds of tax exempt bonds, PHA capital funds, and low-income housing tax credits.
- Assisted housing authorities in multiple states throughout the country create and utilize a project-based voucher program.
- Negotiated and drafted master development agreements between a housing authority and two private developers for redevelopment of four public housing projects. Assisted this same client in educating the Board of Commissioners about mixed-finance transactions.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, “RAD Hot Topics” 2018 Affordable Housing and CED Bootcamp, Boston, MA, October 2018.
- Presenter, “Section 8 Fundamentals” ABA Bootcamp, Phoenix, AZ, February 2018.
- Presenter, Plenary Session, Developments in Project Based Vouchers, National Leased Housing Association, June 2017
- Moderator, Public and Assisted Housing: Challenges and Opportunities, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Annual Conference, May 2017
- Presenter, “Work/Life Balance: Committing to Your Career and Your Health” ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Teleconference, April 2017
- Presenter, “Implementing the Housing Opportunities Through Modernization Act of 2016 (HOTMA), ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Teleconference, February 2017
- Presenter, “RAD and its Implementation: Closing a RAD Deal”, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Bootcamp, October 2016
- Presenter, “Rental Assistance Demonstration Program: Overview and Best Practices,” Ohio Housing Authorities Conference, Fall 2015 Conference, September 2016.
- Speaker on Project-Based Vouchers, ABA Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law, Washington, D.C, May 2015.
- Presenter on Section 8 Transfers, Ohio Housing Council, Fall Symposium, October 2013
- Presenter, on Mixed-Finance Development, HDLI Conference, Spring 2013.
- Presenter, “How to Audit Proof Your PBV Program.” PSWRC NAHRO 2015 Annual Spring Conference, May 2015.
- Instructor, “Beyond the Basics: Mixed-Finance Development for Public Housing Authorities.” Seminar, NAHRO, July 2008, July 2009, October 2009, March 2010, October 2010, March 2011, July 2012.
- “A Practitioner’s Guide to Project-Based Vouchers” May 2018, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- “A Beginner’s Guide to Project-Based Vouchers” May 2015, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Author, Keeping Watch: Protecting Public Housing Authorities’ Access to Counsel, ABA Journal of Affordable Housing, Volume 17, Number 4, Summer 2008.
- Author, An Ownership Society for All: Community Development Financial Institutions as the Bridge Between Wealth Inequality and Asset-Building Policies, Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law and Policy, Volume 13.3, Fall 2006
Awards, Community and Professional Activities
- Member of Governing Committee, American Bar Association Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law
- Certified Housing Development Finance Professional