- Represented a Nashville-based developer in a complex transaction for the for the development of a 250-unit affordable multifamily rental housing complex involving the negotiation of a long term ground lease, creation of a leasehold condominium regime, and the closing of project financing through various sources including tax-exempt bond and private taxable construction loans, low income housing tax credits, and property tax abatement through a Payment in Lieu of Tax (PILOT) program.
- Represented an Ohio-based Developer in the acquisition and rehabilitation of several affordable multi-family rental housing complexes in Tennessee, financed through Rural Development loans and Low Income Housing Tax Credits.
- Represented a Kentucky-based developer in negotiating a Brownfield Voluntary Agreement with the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation to address remediation of soil vapor impacts from historic site contamination prior to development of an affordable multifamily rental housing complex.
- Represented a Nashville-based developer as part of a public-private partnership for the site acquisition and development of affordable multifamily rental housing complexes for families and seniors in Charlotte, North Carolina using tax-exempt bond and private taxable construction loans, low income housing tax credits.
Nashville, TN Office
Houston Howell is an associate practicing in the area of commercial real estate advising clients on buying, selling, leasing, and financing, with a particular focus on representing non-profit and for profit clients developing low income and affordable housing using tax-exempt bond, low income housing tax credits, state and federal housing grants, federally insured loans, and conventional loans. Houston’s clients benefit from his deep understanding of commercial real estate transactions, title, public and private financing, and environmental law.
Selected Recent Transactions
Major Prior Work Experience
- Attorneys Title Company, Inc., Associate
- Tennessee Department of Transportation, Assistant General Counsel
- Tulane Environmental Law Clinic, Student Attorney
Awards and Professional Activities
- Member, Tennessee Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association